Seed Crusted Tofu with Lemony Kale
Updated: Nov 1, 2019
This crispy crusted tofu topped with our Tamari & Seaweed Roasted Seed Toppers makes for a delicious protein addition to any meal. We have served ours with a side of lemony kale for a light meal, but this would go great alongside a bowl of quinoa or rice, stir fried vegetables or fresh salad.
This recipe was created by our friends at iamco.co.nz, for the April Delight Box. I am co. delivers you the latest and greatest health products to your door every month.
Tofu - 300g firm organic tofu
2 tbsp tamari (or soy sauce)
2 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
Coconut oil (for frying)
Kale - 6 large stalks of curly kale
2 tbsp olive oil
1 whole lemon juiced
1. Remove the tofu from packaging and press it firmly to remove any liquid. You can place it in a colander with a weight on top to slowly remove any excess liquid over a few minutes.
2. Once pressed, carefully slice tofu into 8 strips and set aside.
3. In a small bowl whisk the marinade ingredients together (tamari, maple syrup, smoked paprika, sesame oil, dijon mustard). Pour into a small tray and then place the tofu into the tray and cover with marinade sauce, let it sit and marinate for 3 - 4 hours. You can flip the tofu upside down at the halfway point.
4. Place the seeds in a mortar and pestle and roughly smash them. Pour the smashed seeds onto a plate.
5. Once the tofu has soaked up plenty of the marinade, carefully place each piece into the seeds. Coat both sides evenly.
6. Heat a pan and let the coconut oil get warm. Place each piece of the tofu into the pan and fry until golden on each side, this should take 5 - 10 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, shred the kale leaves and place in a steamer until just soft (several minutes only). Remove from the heat and drizzle with olive oil and lemon, toss until well coated.
8. To serve, pile up two bowls with even amounts of kale and top with 4 crispy tofu strips each. Yum!