Cauliflower Crust Pizza with Roasted Vegetables & Garlic Seed Toppers. Gluten-free recipe
Updated: Nov 1, 2019
A summer veggie pizza topped with caramelized roasted capsicum, eggplant, and sweet red onion is a light, low carb dish. Learn how to make gluten-free cauliflower pizza crust that’s a great healthy alternative to regular pizza crust. The grain-free crust has a great texture and you’d never know it’s mostly cauliflower. Serve this delicious pizza with melting in the mouth soft cheese, crunchy garlicky seeds, and peppery watercress.
Recipe and images by www.crazy-cucumber.com
For Cauliflower Crust
1 medium size cauliflower, cut into florets
1 free-range egg
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp olive oil
pinch of salt
2 Tbsp almond meal
1 tsp dried sweet basil
For Marinara Sauce:
1 garlic clove, crushed and sliced
1 cup tomato passata
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp dried sweet basil
2 red capsicums, sliced
1 eggplant, sliced
1 red onion, sliced
goat cheese (chèvre) or cashew cheese
1/2 cup Something to Crow About Garlic Roasted Seeds
bunch of watercress
sea salt & pepper
1. Preheat oven up to 200C (400F).
2. Combine vegetables in the big bowl, drizzle with oil, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Toss to coat. Roast vegetables, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes, or until nice and soft.
3. Marinara sauce. Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant, but don’t let it turn brown. Add the tomato passata and cook for about 3 minutes. Stir in balsamic vinegar, dried basil, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cover, and simmer on the lowest heat for 10-15 minutes. Remove garlic slices from the sauce.
4. For crust. Put cauliflower florets into a steamer or colander set over a pan of boiling water. Cover with a lid and steam for 10 mins or until soft.
Preheat oven up to 230C (450F).
5. Heat the pizza stone if you use it.
Turn the cauliflower into rice (crumbs) using a food processor.
6. Tip cauliflower onto a clean tea towel and leave to cool a little. Once cool enough to handle, scrunch up the tea towel and squeeze as much liquid as you can out of the cauliflower, then transfer to a clean bowl.
7. Mix well in the bowl remaining ingredients for the crust. Place cauliflower “dough” on the lined with a parchment paper baking sheet and shape into pizza crust.
8. If you use a pizza stone, carefully transfer baking paper with crust onto the preheated stone.
9. Place in oven for 17 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
10. Spread the tomato sauce over the pizza base, then arrange the roasted vegetables on top. Return to the oven for about 10 minutes.
11. Before serving top pizza with soft cheese slices, scatter with delicious garlic seeds and garnish with fresh watercress.
For more information on this recipe and other fantastic healthy eating ideas go to crazy-cucumber.com